Offered at the YWCA through Bronson Hospital , Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) exams are free of charge and available 24/7 for persons who have been sexually assaulted or have concerns of sexual abuse. SANEs are confidential. The nurse examiners provide uninterrupted exams in a quiet, private, and comforting examination room. Eligible criteria are that the assault/concern for happened within 120 hours, the patient is able to consent and wants to see the SANE team.
What to expect at a SANE exam:
- Collection of detailed medical history.
- Head-to-Toe examination looking for areas of injury or abnormalities.
- Provided medication (Rocephin injection, Zithromax and Flagyl by mouth) for most common STI’s (Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trichomonas).
- Provided HIV prophylaxis starter pack (4-day), and testing throughout the remaining time on starter pack
- Lab work ensures safety in continued treatment after starter pack ends
- Suggested lab work with continued treatment
- Offered emergency contraception (i.e. Plan B)
- If desired, collection of potential DNA evidence to provide to Law Enforcement for testing at the Michigan State Police Crime Lab.
- Patients DO NOT have to speak with police to obtain medical care.
- Swabs can also be kept in SANE storage while patient decides if they want to proceed with giving them to Law Enforcement for testing.
- Provided follow-up recommendations, counseling, and safety planning
Who’s in the room?
- A supportive advocate is present throughout the entire exam, if desired. This individual can provide emotional support and resources to the victim-survivor.
- A registered nurse trained in medical forensic care